Bid Adieu to Photoshop and Embrace the Responsive Design
If you are one of them who do not enjoy a cordial relationship with Photoshop, then this post might elate you in all possible ways. We all can back-up our notions of saying that Photoshop software is bloated, it can crash if you forget to hit the save button, and at times, it lets you produce image that means nothing but a useless piece of non-functioning image to be sent to the clients.
However, despite all the ills, the software is the staple of web design industry and no designer can live without it. High fidelity mockups have provided an answer in a way, but then, the industry is yet to find a replacement of Photoshop applications. In this blog, we will delve deep into the reasons why ace designers are fed-up with Photoshop and even started considering it a waste of valuable time.
Image Source: www.wpintegration.com
1. It’s Double the Work
Simply put, you sit in front of Photoshop to spend hours of time only to create what, a picture? It is just doubling or tripling your work load for the worst!
2. Clients Seldom Understand Photoshop
Even the greatest Photoshop aficionados have to agree with me on this. Photoshop produces mockup which clients cannot use. As Steve Jobs puts it, “Design is how it works”, and when your entire objective is to appease your client, the last thing you would want is to create something which your clients don’t understand. So, look for creative ways to find that missing piece of the puzzle and keep the square-one technique away, atleast for a few days.
3. CSS has ushered into the Scene
Till yesterday, there were certain things such as shadows, borders, buttons, that demanded the use of Photoshop which CSS couldn’t. Now that CSS has happily evolved from its adolescence it can feature diverse kind of stylistic elements which was craved for long. And the pace with which CSS has evolved, we can deduce that Photoshop applications will be minimized in years to come.
4. Photoshop is Expensive
The problem that has been troubling most of the aspiring web designers is configuring a machine, which could withstand the load of the latest version of Photoshop. But, prior to that, the excruciating price of the product has even made people mortgage their home! Now, with the usherance of Responsive web designing, you can keep all these problems at bay.
6. Photoshop is Static
Now that we’ve established that Responsive Web Design is the future of the web, why spend time designing a website in Photoshop that isn’t fluid? If you feel the urge to design each breakpoint (where the Responsive Design breaks) in Photoshop, then return to my first point and change “Double the Work” to “Six Times the Work”.
7. You Start with Content not with Style
A good web designer knows the holy grail of the game is great markup. The “content-first” approach in web designing isn’t just a cry, its actuality. Shaping the content in the webpage is styling and then, if content covers 95% of your design, then it is no use to spend time in Photoshop for the remaining 5%.
Truly speaking, the forthcoming era in web designing will be more mature and advance. Streamlined lay-outs, astounding mark-ups, semantics, fluid design, integration of typographic elements, responsive design, gothic fonts, rapid prototyping and “content first” approach is here to stay. We can infer that the much needed CSS, html and the browser tools have advanced and led us to a point where we can lead our life sans Photoshop.